Israel, Netanya, Meffi 5, office 308
Call me back
Israel, Netanya, Meffi 5, office 308

Documents for permanent residence

March 24, 2022 195 Time to read: 5 min.

Many would like to move to Israel for permanent residence, but not everyone will be able to do it. The fact is that the main way of moving to the Israeli state is repatriation, which is carried out because of the “Law of Return”. And this means that a person must prove his belonging to the Jewish people. About what documents are needed to move to Israel for permanent residence, we will tell in detail further.

Get a free consultation from
an Israeli citizenship specialist

    Documents for moving to Israel for permanent residence

    Relocation to the Israeli state of persons subject to the Law of Return is carried out because of a repatriation visa. This document should be requested from the Israeli Embassy (Consular Section) in the country of current residence.

    An indicative list of documents that must be presented to a representative of a diplomatic mission for verification can be found on the website of the organization. It includes:

    • A completed application form “Request for a repatriate visa”;
    • The form must be printed and filled out before visiting the Repatriation Department;
    • The document is filled out personally by each of the family members, except children under 17 years of age;
    • Photograph 3×4 cm. The photo is taken for each family member, even newborns;
    • Passport;
    • Foreign passport. It is important here that the expiration date of the document is at least 6 months after the date of the visit to the Embassy;
    • Certificate of no criminal record. Provided for each family member over 14 years of age. The document is valid for 6 months;
    • Marriage certificate (divorce, death of one of the spouses);
    • Birth certificate;
    • Employment book (if available);
    • Pension certificate (if available);
    • Document on military service (if available);
    • Diploma of education—secondary, higher, special;
    • Papers confirming the right to repatriation.

    You can supplement the list by providing information about relatives and friends living in Israel, if any. Documents must be provided for all family members declared in the “Request for a repatriate visa” questionnaire. Documents are provided in originals and copies.
    It is worth mentioning that each case is individual. The representative of the diplomatic mission is entitled to additionally request other certificates that are not listed in the main list. Therefore, when visiting the Israeli Embassy to undergo a consular check, it is necessary to take with you as many papers related to the case as possible. It happens that even a seemingly insignificant document can become significant arguments when deciding on granting a repatriate visa.

    If you have documents confirming your Jewish origin, but you are not sure of their completeness and strength, then contact us for advice. We will conduct an examination of the available papers, draw up an individual plan for finding the missing documents. Don’t waste your time seeking evidence—trust this process to specialists.

    Documents confirming the right to repatriation

    The Consular Section does not have a specific list of papers that must be presented to prove one’s Jewish origin. These can be personal documents of parents, grandparents, where the nationality is indicated—Jew. And papers that will confirm the blood relationship between the applicant and the Jewish ancestor.

    Get a free consultation from
    an Israeli citizenship specialist

      Only original papers have legal force:

      • Soviet passport. The first passports with a nationality column appeared in 1932;
      • Birth certificate;
      • Military ticket—the paper itself and the insert;
      • Archival extracts from parish registers, etc.

      To move for permanent residence in Israel, the Embassy should capture any documents that directly or indirectly indicate that the applicant’s descendant relative was a Jew.

      A package of papers for moving a non-Jew

      The list of required documents will depend on the situation. If the move occurs as a result of marriage (marriage) with an Israeli citizen, then the Israeli spouse must apply to the Ministry of Internal Affairs to issue a call.

      List of papers:

      1. Identity card (Teudat Zehut) of the inviter;
      2. Photo—3 pcs;
      3. Application filled in Hebrew or English. Documents for a foreign spouse are attached to it:
        • Copy of foreign passport;
        • Color photograph—3 pcs;
        • Marriage certificate—translation with an apostille. Original and copy provided;
        • Birth certificate of a foreign spouse—translation with an apostille. You will need a copy and the original;
        • Certificate of no criminal record;
        • Certificate from the place of work on wages.
      4. Documents confirming the acquaintance and joint life of the spouses. These can be photographs, letters from relatives confirming the couple’s acquaintance, checks from a restaurant, and so on.

      All documents that are not in Hebrew or English must be translated and certified by a notary, some papers will need an apostille.

      After approval by the Israeli Ministry of Internal Affairs at the Embassy at the place of current residence of the foreign spouse, an entry visa can be requested (if the countries do not have visa-free relations). You will need to provide the same papers that are required to obtain an entry permit at the Israeli Ministry of Internal Affairs, along with a completed visa application form.

      If the husband (wife) of a foreigner has children under 18 from a previous marriage, then to obtain a visa permit, you will need the personal presence of a minor at the Consulate, his birth certificate, 3 photographs. You can visit the Israeli diplomatic mission only via appointment.

      Get a free consultation from
      an Israeli citizenship specialist

        Load more
        Get a free consultation from an Israeli citizenship specialist

          Please provide contact details and the manager will contact you soon! Jenny Litman, Head of the Subscriber Department