Israel, Netanya, Meffi 5, office 308
Call me back
Israel, Netanya, Meffi 5, office 308

How do I renew an Israeli passport?

March 23, 2022 1555 Time to read: 7 min.

Three types of passports are valid on the territory of the Israeli state at once. This is an internal identity card (Teudat Zeut) and two foreign passports – the Darkon and Lesse-Passe. After a certain period of time, the documents require an extension due to the expiration of their validity.

We will tell you in detail about where and how to renew Israeli passports further.

The WRAI provides support on the territory of Israel for the renewal of an identity card, a foreign passport. We also help to prolong passports through the Israeli diplomatic mission—we will consult, we will make out the application correctly, we will assist in solving related issues.

Where is it better to renew your passport – in the country of origin or in Israel?

Before answering this question, you need to understand when there is a need to prolong the document. A biometric identity card (Teudat Zehut) is issued to Israeli citizens who have reached the age of 16. The document is issued for 10 years.

  The validity period of a foreign passport may be different. So, the first Lesse Pass is issued to new repatriates for 5 years, and the Darkon – for 1 year. The shelf life of Darkon can be 5 and 10 years.

As soon as the validity period of the documents is nearing completion, the passport holder must initiate its renewal. If a person is in Israel currently, it will be more convenient to undergo the procedure at the Ministry of Internal Affairs. If abroad, it is easier to contact the nearest Israeli consulate. But one important point should be considered here – biometric documents are issued only on the territory of Israel, an old-style form can be obtained at the diplomatic mission.

Extension of Teudat Zehut

To extend Teudat Zeut, it is necessary to contact the Population Registration Office in Israel. To accomplish this, you need to make an appointment in advance at “your” department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs. The procedure will be as follows:

  1. On the website of public services, an application for prolongation of the document is filled out and a time convenient for visiting the department is booked.
  2. On the day appointed for the reception, it is necessary to appear at the Office with the following documents:
  • An application for extension;
  • Old Teudat Zeut.

If during the period of obtaining the first identity card there was a change in family status (marriage, divorce, death of a spouse, birth of children), then information about this should be present in the Population Registration Department. If it is not there, then you will need originals and copies of marriage and divorce certificates, a certificate of death, birth.

Teudat zeut

A new identity card is produced within 10-14 working days. The document is handed over personally to the messengers at the address indicated in the application, or sent to the post office. An important nuance when extending teudat zeut is that only residents of Israel can count on it, since this document is an internal passport that certifies the identity of a citizen within the country. If a person permanently resides in another state, then he will not have to undergo this procedure.

Darkon Extension

A document whose validity period has expired is invalid. In accordance with the law, Israeli citizens are required to cross the border of the state with an Israeli passport, even if they have a valid travel document of another state.

You can request an extension of your passport abroad – at the Israeli Consulate and at the Israeli Interior Ministry. A non-biometric document will be issued outside the country.

Prolongation in the Israeli Ministry of Internal Affairs

For this purpose, it is necessary to personally appear at the department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs nearest to the place of residence. The agency does not always approve the extension of a foreign passport. In accordance with the regulations in force in 2023, the first Darkon is issued for 1 year without considering the actual time of residence in Israel.

To receive the next travel document with a validity period of 5 or 10 years, it is necessary to spend at least 75% of the possible time on the territory of the Israeli state. If the applicant does not live in Israel at all or is here up to 25% of his possible time, then a Lesse Pass will be issued.

Before visiting the Ministry of Internal Affairs, you need to make an appointment. To accomplish this, an application form is filled out on the department’s website and a suitable time is selected for visiting the department.

You must have the following documents with you:

  • A completed and signed application form;
  • Identity card (Teudat Zeut);
  • Darkon, which requires an extension.

The department will need to take a biometric photo and take fingerprints. Darkon will be ready in 10-14 days after submitting the application. You can pick it up using one of three ways:

  • At the post office nearest to the place of residence;
  • Using courier delivery.

If a minor has to extend the Darkon, then the personal presence of the child together with one or both parents is necessary. If the second parent cannot attend, he must issue a notarized power of attorney in which he gives permission to extend the passport to the child.

Get a free consultation from
an Israeli citizenship specialist

    Prolongation through the Consulate

    An Israeli living abroad must personally apply to the Israeli diplomatic mission. You must have the following documents with you:

    • Completed in Hebrew or English and signed application for a new passport;
    • 2 photos of the set format;
    • An old travel document.
      You can contact the Consulate 6 months before the expiration of the Darkon. There is no consular fee for the extension of documents.

    When renewing foreign passports, the same rules apply as inside the country, that is, the limitation of citizenship and the period of residence in Israel are weighed. If a person spent most of the time (more than 75%) in Israel, then a Darkon will be issued to him during the extension.

    Extension of the Lesse Pass

    You can prolong Teudat-Maavar at the Israeli Interior Ministry or by contacting the Israeli representative office in the country of your current stay. To the Embassy in person you need to send:

    • Application for extension. Filled in Hebrew or English;
    • A document confirming the identity;
    • Lesse Passe, in need of renewal.

    An appointment must be made in advance.

    When extending a travel document through the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Israel, the algorithm of actions will be the same as when submitting a request for prolongation of the Darkon. The Lesse Pass will be issued for a period of 5 years. When making it, the period of the applicant’s total stay in Israel is not considered.

    The Israeli Consulate can issue a Teudat Maavar with a shorter validity period if a person has been absent from the country for a long time. This is done to provoke a flight to extend the document inside the Israeli state. The Government carefully monitors financial debts and the legality of staying in the country.

    The WRAI is your reliable assistant in obtaining Israeli citizenship. Our managers will assist in the search and registration of documents confirming your Jewish origin. They will prepare you for an interview with the consul. As part of the subscription support, we accompany the renewal of passports, identity cards, interact with the bank, advise on taxation issues and solve other equally important tasks.
    Get a free consultation from
    an Israeli citizenship specialist

      Load more
      Get a free consultation from an Israeli citizenship specialist

        Please provide contact details and the manager will contact you soon! Jenny Litman, Head of the Subscriber Department