Israel, Netanya, Meffi 5, office 308
Call me back
Israel, Netanya, Meffi 5, office 308

Repatriation with children

March 25, 2022 29 Time to read: 14 min.

Many people decide upon repatriation when they already have children or even grandchildren. And if it is difficult to manage obtaining citizenship by adults, then repatriation with children creates even more questions and nuances. There are many situations, in each of which you need to act differently.

Get a free consultation from
an Israeli citizenship specialist

    Who is eligible for repatriation

    The Law of Return states that Jews, their children, grandchildren, and spouses of all of the above have the right to Israeli citizenship and repatriation.

    The nationality of the Jews is transmitted through the female line, so the grandson of a Jewish grandfather receives the right to repatriation as the third generation. If a grandmother was Jewish, her grandson is considered the second generation. If this is a maternal grandmother, then the grandson is recognized as a Jew.

    The law does not say anything about the great-grandchildren of Jews; therefore they are not entitled to obtain citizenship.

    Nevertheless, Israel has a reverent attitude towards the family, therefore, children in the fourth generation are granted the right to enter Israeli territory with the status of a residence permit. In the future, they without any problems receive Israeli citizenship. If the children of the family of repatriates are the third generation, then they immediately receive citizenship without any issues. There are only features of the repatriation procedure.

    Repatriation with fourth generation children

    The rules of the Law of Return created numerous conflicting situations. Many families who have moved to Israel are unable to obtain citizenship for their minor children.

    For example, the grandson of a Jew immigrated as the third generation and moved to Israel with his wife and children. But his children cannot legally claim citizenship, as they are, in fact, the fourth generation.

    The great-grandson receives a temporary residence permit.

    What to do in such a situation?

    The child’s residence permit is renewed annually for 3 years if the family permanently resides in Israel. To extend the visa, you need to pay a fee and provide documents confirming that the child is included in Israeli life.

    It is significant that during the entire period of validity of the residence permit the child lives in the parental family, and not with grandparents. If the parents have lost their residency or have been abroad for a long time, the procedure for obtaining the citizenship of the child will be suspended.

    In order for a 4th generation child to obtain a residence permit, the following conditions must be met:

    • at the time of filing the application, the great-grandson has not reached the age of majority;
    • his parents immigrated and permanently reside in Israel.

    What you need to know if you are repatriating with children

    To get around all the difficulties of repatriation with children, it is worth preparing in advance and studying the information. Below are the key features of the process.

    Get a free consultation from
    an Israeli citizenship specialist

      How to fill out a questionnaire when repatriating with children

      • The third part of the Questionnaire “Application for a repatriate visa” for children under 17 years of age is filled in by parents;
      • Children 17 years of age and older complete on their own;
      • Children under the age of 25 who have not changed their marital status and do not have children themselves submit a request for repatriation together with their parents;
      • At the end of the page, the signature is put by the one who filled it out, even if it is a minor of 17 years old;
      • A photo of all family members, including photos of newborn children, must be attached to the package of documents.

      Do I need to take children to the consular check?

      Yes, the whole family, including children from the age of three, must be present at the meeting with the consul.

      What “pitfalls” can be


      The main stumbling block when repatriating with children can be a meeting with the consul. Children may disclose information that does not matter, but it may be a reason for the consul to deny you a repatriate visa. For example, if a grandmother paints eggs on Easter and takes the child to church, without considering the will of the parents, the consul may find out about this and think that the family is Christian.

      It is important to discuss all such issues with the children before meeting with the representative of the Embassy.

      When should one start learning Hebrew

      Children adapt much easier than adults, but they can be helped. If you start teaching your child Hebrew before moving to Israel, upon arrival, he will be able to quickly begin to communicate with peers and understand the material in the lessons.

      You can get child support

      Repatriates have the right to receive child allowance, additional payment is made for each child. To accomplish this, you need to open an account in an Israeli bank. The size of the Absorption Basket also depends on the presence of children.

      If a child is repatriated under one of the children’s programs without parents, it is essential to know that he may receive child support. It can be issued after arrival.

      What to do before moving with a child

      There are a few questions regarding moving that parents should address first:

      • Find a suitable school or kindergarten for your child;
      • Contact the coordinator in advance, who helps new repatriates in resolving any difficult issues;
      • Find out in advance about children’s clubs and additional activities that a child can attend.

      Procedure for repatriation of children, depending on the situation

      We will tell you whether your children can obtain Israeli citizenship and what are the nuances. There are many situations. Let’s describe what can be done in each of them.

      There are 4th generation children, but they are adults

      What to do: in this situation, unfortunately, nothing can be done. Adult children of repatriates who belong to the 4th generation cannot obtain Israeli citizenship in any way.

      A family acquires citizenship during the wife's pregnancy

      What to do: if the spouse is pregnant with a child of the 3rd generation, then the newborn will in any case receive Israeli citizenship. But if a woman is pregnant with a child of the 4th generation, then to obtain citizenship, the family must have time to repatriate before the moment of birth. Otherwise, the child will only be able to obtain a residence permit.

      Jew gets citizenship but has children from a previous marriage who don't live with him

      What to do: in this case, it is important to justify well at a meeting with the consul why the family is repatriated without a second parent. Then the repatriate comes to Israel with the children and goes through all the paperwork procedures. Subsequently, the children can return to their country of origin and complete their studies there at a school or university before moving to Israel. But by the time they move and come of age, they will already have citizenship. This is especially important if the children are in the 4th generation.

      Israeli citizens have a baby, but they don't live in Israel

      What to do: if both parents are Israelis, the child will effortlessly receive citizenship after registering at the Embassy. However, if the parents are not married, you will need to write an additional application to register the father of the child in the population register of the State of Israel. The child must be registered within 30 days of birth. If registration was not successful on time, then you can do it before the child turns 28, but it will take longer. After the age of 28, the child will not be registered.

      Child's father is an Israeli citizen, but mother is not

      What to do: If only the father is Israeli—there are several prerequisites for registering a child. The child of an Israeli father must be born in a marriage, and the consulate must be notified of this marriage no later than 300 days before the birth of the child. This is because the consul considers the marriage to be legitimate not from the date of its actual conclusion, but from the date of notification of the consulate. And in this situation, in order for a child to obtain Israeli citizenship, he must be born no earlier than 300 days after the consulate was notified of the marriage. Otherwise, you will have to take a DNA paternity test.

      There are minor children of the 4th generation

      What to do: it is important to have time to repatriate at least 3-4 years before the child comes of age. If a child lives in Israel for three years in a row without interruption with his parents and renews his residence permit, then after three years he can obtain Israeli citizenship.

      A person without Jewish roots acquires citizenship with a spouse and has children from his first marriage

      What to do: if a Jewish spouse has adopted a woman’s child from her first marriage, then all the same generation rules apply as for repatriates. The representatives of the Embassy should not have suspicions that the adoption was made for the sole purpose of obtaining an Israeli passport. Therefore, parents provide evidence of caring for the child, participation in the educational process, sincerity of the relationship between the adoptive parent and the adopted child. If the spouse did not adopt the child, then the child receives a permanent residence visa when moving to Israel with his mother and can obtain citizenship later according to the same rules that apply to children of the 4th generation.

      A person marries an Israeli citizen and has children from his first marriage

      What to do: in this case, the spouse receives citizenship under the Stupro program, and the child receives citizenship automatically together with the parent.

      Child of Jewish parents was adopted by a non-Jewish family

      What to do: if a child with Jewish roots is adopted by non-Jewish parents, this does not deprive him of a blood relationship with his people. The child retains the right to obtain an Israeli passport. You just need to prove blood relationship.

      Family repatriates with adopted child

      What to do: all the same rules apply as for native children, if the adoption procedure was legally correct. When deciding whether to issue a returnee visa, the issue of time elapsed between the moment of applying for Israeli citizenship and the date of adoption is of great importance. If the adoption took place in accordance with all the rules, and there is documentary evidence of the Jewishness of one of the adoptive parents, then the child has the right to return both as part of the family and without it.

      What parents should not be afraid of repatriates

      Repatriation worries caring parents for many reasons. Next, we will tell you exactly what you should not be afraid of when moving with children to a new country.

      4th generation child will not be able to attend school and use health insurance

      The residence permit provides health insurance, the right to free schooling and all necessary social guarantees and does not restrict the child’s rights in any way.

      The child will not be able to communicate with peers and learn because he does not know Hebrew

      Usually, children overcome the language barrier faster than adults and learn the language much faster while being in the environment. And if we consider that in Israel, 1/3 of the English-speaking population, then the child will definitely find support from English-speaking peers. In addition, you can lay the language base even before repatriation so that the adaptation is even faster and easier.

      The child will not be able to adapt to life in a new country and make new friends

      Parents should not be afraid of difficulties with adaptation. The younger generation is more flexible and adapts to change faster. In addition, the more experience children have of moving, the more adaptable and open to the world they become in adulthood.

      The kid will get in trouble because we're not religious

      Although the Israeli state is quite religious, representatives of different religions live peacefully here. Therefore, the low religiosity of the family will not act as a reason to offend your child. Jews are calm, peaceful people. However, on your part, you also need to try to understand and accept other people’s customs and be tolerant towards representatives of Jewish religious communities.

      Israeli climate won't suit my child

      Israel has several climatic zones. If it is difficult for a child to live in the stuffiness of the center, then you can move to the north of the country, where it is cooler. You can also come to the country “for exploration” and just live here for a while, for example, on a tourist visa. And if you are concerned about the health of the child, then be sure to consult doctors about this, and it is better with Israeli, and not with people ones. Most often, a warm climate becomes a plus, not a minus in the presence of chronic diseases.

      The child is being treated or observed by doctors in the country of origin and will not be able to receive decent care in Israel

      Israel has proper medicine, so you definitely shouldn’t worry about this. Many people come to the country specifically to receive treatment from world-class specialists. In addition, the state finances medicine on a large scale, therefore, in addition to qualified doctors, medical centers are also equipped with the world’s best diagnostic and operating equipment. And if the standard CHI does not cover the necessary services, you can take out extended private insurance.

      The team of leading specialists in citizenship of the WRAI will assist in obtaining Israeli citizenship with children. We accompany you at every stage of the process – from searching for documents to obtaining an Israeli passport.

      We also continue to support our clients after they have moved to permanent residence – we give practical advice, help establish relationships with government agencies, purchase Israeli real estate, receive medical services and resolve other equally important issues.

      Get a free consultation from
      an Israeli citizenship specialist

        Load more
        Get a free consultation from an Israeli citizenship specialist

          Please provide contact details and the manager will contact you soon! Jenny Litman, Head of the Subscriber Department